Saturday, October 26, 2013

Assembly of Micro Aquarium and Initial Observation


Setting up the micro aquarium was an enjoyable experience. Dr. McFarland and myself took a small (micro) aquarium and matched it with a base for support and a cover to prevent anything airborne from entering. Once fitted we embarked on a journey to the botany greenhouse in the basement of the Hessler building. 
At first my little aquarium held nothing but that soon changed. Dr. McFarland filled the aquarium with water from several tanks inside and outside of the greenhouse as well as little something extra from a Nepenthes plant inside the greenhouse. This particular plant catches water as well as prey and most likely retains some digestive juices, a wonderful organism addition. The water samples came from varies depths of the water tanks. Some came from the base of the tanks accompanied by soil particles, others from the middle of the tanks, and some from just below the surface of the aquarium.
Once 3/4 the way full of water and soil particles Dr. McFarland and I where in search of a few chlorophyll plants to supply a bite of oxygen to the aquarium dwellers. There were a total of two plant specimens added. The first sample was a small piece of  Fontinalis sp. Moss and the other a Utricularia Gibba L. a carnivous flowering plant, both collected from the greenhouse downstairs.


The Fontinalis Moss was added to one side with the aid of a metal pin tool to wedge it between the thin glass layers and spread out amongst the right side. On the left side I added the sample of Utricularia Gibba and spread it out evenly. With my aquarium now complete, it's time to head back up to the lab and see what we have managed to conjure up! This aquarium was assembled on 10.22.13.
Back in the lab, I was able to carefully put the aquarium under a microscope and inspect its contents more thoroughly. Up until this point, Botany has not been my favorite class this semester. However, it's in close running with my soils class now. When I looked through the microscope I was immersed in this alternate world. 
Through the microscope I could see varies organisms in different regions of the aquarium. My first discovery were several Urocentrum (Protazoan). I am fascinated by their movement and the torch with which they spin. I also saw five other organisms but have been unable to properly identify them as of yet.






No comments:

Post a Comment