Monday, November 4, 2013

Lunch Time Week 2


On Friday October 25, 2013 Dr. McFarland added a pellet of Atison's Betta Food to each of the aquarium's. Initially I had thought that my organisms would have grown a bite but that wasn't the case. In hind site I see how silly that was. They didn't "grow," they MULTIPLIED! 

Atison's Betta Food is made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. The ingredients include: Fish MEal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%, Crude Fat 4.5%, Crude Fiber 3.5%, Moisture 8%, and Ash 15% (McFarland 2013).

I was able to take several photos during my last observation on October 31, 2013 but I still have to identify some of my organisms. My first observation was the betta food pellet. It was teaming with organisms of several different kind. I was able to identify some Actinosphaerium, what I believe may be Rhizoids, and my prized possession at this point, a Hydra. 

Unfortunately, after my observation I spilled some water out of the aquarium, I hope I didn't loose the Hydra. This week I will identify all of the organisms I have observed up to this point, research them, include photos and detailed descriptions of each in post 3.

The microscope I have used to simply view the organisms is a MicroMaster by Fisher Scientific. Cat No. 12-56113. Made in China. Microscope marked #83.  This machine can be located in the Hessler Biology building room 507.

No comments:

Post a Comment